Join each day information updates from CleanTechnica on e mail. Or observe us on Google Information!
For this weekly e-newsletter, I’m highlighting 11 core tales that I feel stand out above the remaining. We cowl a lot cleantech information that it may be very arduous to distill or slender all the way down to an important tales of the week, however the next 11 appear additional noteworthy and helpful (and, sure, I’m stuffing a number of CleanTechnica articles into a few of these particular person tales).
1. BYD is rising quick, by way of development in China in addition to rising exports to increasingly international locations. The corporate simply produced its 6 millionth plugin automobile, and that was solely 3 months after it produced its 5 millionth! The BYD ATTO 3 is now obtainable in additional than 50 international locations, and a type of is the Philippines, the place BYD simply arrived with a bang, making ready 19 auto sellers for EVs and planning to roll out 100 charging stations nationwide. (BYD additionally has some sodium-ion battery plans underway that we could wish to control.)
2. Cruise is collapsing on itself. Possibly it can bounce again, possibly it gained’t. Cofounder and CEO Kyle Vogt resigned lately, and cofounder and chief product officer Dan Kan resigned quickly after. One evaluation highlighted what could have been Cruise’s greatest drawback — taking up an excessive amount of danger, or put in additional direct phrases, moving into too many accidents. One other evaluation narrowed in on transparency issues on the firm. Regardless of the greatest points have been and are, it’s clear that Cruise has been collapsing on itself recently. Can it rebuild?
3. There’s numerous nonsense on YouTube. I suppose this isn’t information, however Jennifer Sensiba had an incredible piece displaying how a lot deceptive anti-EV nonsense is getting featured on YouTube nowadays — and getting numerous views there. It’s regarding. What’s the answer? I don’t know — properly, except for liking and subscribing to our YouTube channel in order that extra individuals see our EVObsession content material somewhat than that different dross.
4. EV charging stations should be comfy and interesting. Once more, this commentary didn’t require Albert Einstein stage calculus to determine, but it surely’s one thing that hides in plain web site way more than it ought to. We simply know and settle for that EV charging stations have boring, bland, barren designs. Jennifer factors out that some good structure may go a good distance in enhancing the enchantment, consolation, and security of EV charging stations. In our newest EVObsession present, I additionally word the management from Fastned on this regard in addition to the challenges EV charging networks face in implementing such designs — lack of cash, briefly.
5. Volkswagen goes again to its roots — low-cost automobiles. Volkswagen has had an fascinating evolution over the previous few many years. It tried to premium-ize itself in that point with a purpose to compete extra within the higher half of the market the place revenue margins are notably tasty. In our newest EVObsession episode, Jo Borras explains the Nineteen Eighties and Nineteen Nineties roots of that within the US. The issue Volkswagen has run into within the new EV period is that it hasn’t been on the forefront of software program or effectivity enhancements, and its gross sales have thus been weaker than focused. That’s particularly been the case within the crucial, dominant market of China. Volkswagen’s resolution — in China in addition to within the US and elsewhere — appears to be going again to its roots producing good automobiles at really extra inexpensive costs. The corporate is reportedly planning some extra inexpensive electrical automobiles that it hopes will enhance its abroad gross sales once more.
6. The battery market is rising quickly. Worldwide, EV battery manufacturing capability grew 45% in Q3 2023 in comparison with the identical quarter of 2022. China continued to carry greater than 50% of that manufacturing capability (54%), however different markets within the high 5 — the US, Germany, the UK, and France — are seeing a lot sooner capability development. These subsequent 4 markets grew by about 50% 12 months over 12 months within the third quarter, whereas China grew by about 30% 12 months over 12 months.
7. US pro-EV insurance policies have pushed 1000’s of jobs and an enormous enhance to the economic system. Many individuals don’t wish to acknowledge this due to points they’ve or really feel they’ve with Joe Biden, however the EV progress his administration has stimulated is large and helps the US enormously. It’s additionally a reduction, contemplating that the earlier 4 years included a number of assaults on the EV sector from the federal authorities.
8. The Cupra Born is a good, sporty EV. No, it’s not coming to the US, but it surely’s an incredible choice in Europe and now Australia. David Waterworth bought opinions from two house owners, and I feel the story is price a learn for anybody inquisitive about this automobile. It’s additionally fascinating to me how they ended up within the Born.
9. McDonald’s is getting 2,000+ EV quick chargers in France, because of an initiative by EDF subsidiary IZIVIA. These 2,000+ quick chargers would “symbolize a rise of 25% within the current fleet of extremely charging stations” obtainable to the general public in France.
10. Hyundai is surging ahead within the EV world. This is likely one of the most fun auto corporations to observe in the intervening time in relation to electrical autos. It simply opened a “manufacturing unit of the longer term” in Singapore, the place it’s already manufacturing the IONIQ 5 and the totally autonomous IONIQ 5 robotaxi. It would produce the hyper-efficient IONIQ 6 there subsequent. Total, Hyundai noticed an enormous 18% model enhance in 2023. No doubt, that’s properly deserved.
11. Hydrogen continues to get pushed for poor, illogical, counterproductive causes, together with for trucking in Europe. Michael Barnard intellectually wrestles with the ICCT on this right here, right here, right here, and right here. And if you recognize Mike, you recognize that he brings the receipts.
Additionally, we printed a vacation want guide! I extremely advocate downloading it. (It gained’t chew.)
That is a part of CleanTechnica’s weekly e-newsletter. Join the e-newsletter right here!
Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Wish to promote? Wish to counsel a visitor for our CleanTech Speak podcast? Contact us right here.
I do not like paywalls. You do not like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Right here at CleanTechnica, we applied a restricted paywall for some time, but it surely all the time felt fallacious — and it was all the time robust to determine what we should always put behind there. In concept, your most unique and finest content material goes behind a paywall. However then fewer individuals learn it!! So, we have determined to utterly nix paywalls right here at CleanTechnica. However…
CleanTechnica makes use of affiliate hyperlinks. See our coverage right here.